Over the years, our business activities have stretched well beyond our original “Frontier” Arctic and offshore focus. We have helped the energy industry tackle challenges in areas such as:
- Heavy oil and oil sands recovery;
- Mature oil and gas field production;
- Deepwater and arctic pipeline design; and
- Wellbore and pipeline integrity management.
Our expertise and large-scale testing equipment make us unique in Canada. In response to industry needs, we have added various large-scale testing systems over the years, including:
- Deep Well Simulator to test high-pressure well equipment strings up to 50 m long;
- Horizontal Testing System to test large pipeline specimens with loads up to 72 MN;
- Deepwater Experimental Chamber that can collapse subsea pipelines;
- High-temperature, multi-phase flow loop that can test pumps up to 260°C; and
- External Leak Detection Apparatus that can test pipeline leak detection technologies with real liquid hydrocarbon products.
We have also developed a strong reputation for running Joint Industry Projects (JIPs) to address key challenges faced by the energy industry.
One of our largest JIPs has more than 30 industry participants. One major result from the JIP was the development of our PC-PUMP® software. The JIP helps well operators and pump vendors design and operate progressing cavity pumping systems. C-FER also began to offer PC-PUMP courses to train operators around the world on this emerging technology.
Another long-running JIP developed our PIRAMID™ software. This is a risk-based integrity assessment and maintenance planning tool for pipelines. The software is used by pipeline operating companies around the world.
Our staff are well-known throughout the energy research community, and over the years have authored over 500 technical papers and patented 14 technologies.